Friday, June 6, 2008

Battlefield: Bad Company and Civ Rev

The demo's for Civilization Revolution and Battlefield: Bad Company went live yesterday. Me being the demo lover that I am, download them as soon as I could. First I gave Civ Rev a shot.

The Civilization series will always have a place in my heart because it was one of the first games I ever played and I have always found hours upon hours of enjoyment from all games in the franchise. Civ Rev is Civilization's first try at a console release. The controls worked pretty well as far as I could tell from my very short time playing it. For some reason though I feel as if it did not do a very good job of capturing that, "one more turn..." that I have always felt from the other games in the series. I don't know what it was but it was lacking something, maybe it was I didn't spend enough time with it. One of the things that was done well is the removing of workers. On the PC they work fine, but all that micromanagement could become more of a chore when done on a console. If your new to the series, this might be a good way to give it a try without being flooded with to many new concepts. If you have played the games before, stick with the PC.

As for Battlefield: Bad Company, it's not great, it's fun, but it's not GOTY. One of the big features of the game is the destructible environments. If you have ever wondered what it would be like to shoot down trees with a .50 cal, now is your chance. Other then that it's Battlefield with a few new weapons, good not great. I wouldn't spend $60 on it, but then again, I'm cheap.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome review, i was wondering how it was, my friend got it and said it was awesome but he always says that and 2 weeks later he never plays it again. I'll just wait for BF: Bad Company then. Thanks for the heads up.